MACHINE SHOP TIPS #98 Grinding a Lathe...

Machine Shop Hand Tools: MACHINE SHOP TIPS #98 Grinding a Lathe Threading Tool tubalcain. Tubalcain demonstrates how to grind a 60 degree threading tool. Two methods–free hand & with a grinding jig.

More Machine Shop Hand Tools Videos:

27 Responses to “ MACHINE SHOP TIPS #98 Grinding a Lathe”

1. jose gonzalez says:

hoy es mañana

2. jose gonzalez says:

lol

3. abukamoon says:

Very well done video explaining how to grind thread tooling. I am not a
    machinist, and this explains the process very clearly. One question, it
    seems that a tool used to cut 20 tpi should have a smaller radius at the
    tip than one used to cut 60 tpi, If you were going to cut 20 or even 13
    threads per inch, wouldn’t you put a larger radius on the tip? I don’t
    think you would want a sharp point on the minor diameter.

4. ExtantFrodo2 says:

Very nice. I would have milled the bottom side of the jig because I can’t
    change the angle of the tool rest on my grinder.

5. Eli Duttman says:

Sir: Forgive me if I err in digging through memories more than 50 years
    old. I recall a machine shop teacher telling us that those angled tool
    holders spared us the chore of grinding a 20 degree back rake into turning
    and facing bits.

I was NOT a good machinist and only too glad to get a mandatory class under
    my belt.

Eli D.

6. tommy thompson says:

I have watched a lot of your videos. I got a logan 10 inch lathe and have
    been turning a lot of steel into chips. I have a little round tool for
    making threads, and no matter wha I did, I could not make a good thread. I
    gave up, and ground one. Night and day difference, the threads now are
    acceptable, and they were horrible before. So thanks for what you do. You
    explain thing better than anyone, I really appreciate it. Tom

7. mary gage says:

Is it possible to purchase your machine shop series on dvd? If so can you
    let me know the cost. Thank you and have a great day.

8. Jon G. says:

It took me forever to get it right in class! Wish I had a jig. lol

9. Aftab I Mamdapur says:

thanks for the refrance

10. Chris Murray says:

Internal threading tool has a more severe rake angle or chip breaker

11. nisw1918 says:

thanks gave you a thumbs up please return the favor

12. AsiAzzy says: