Master Mechanic Power Tools: Fixing 18V...

Master Mechanic Power Tools: Fixing 18V 2.4Ah Ryobi Lithium Power Tool Batteries. Identifying the good cells in a dead battery and moving them to another battery, to get it working. But even the ‘good’ cells are well used, so will this rep…

More Master Mechanic Power Tools Videos:

28 Responses to “ Master Mechanic Power Tools: Fixing 18V”

1. jusb1066 says:

interesting they put all the foam in, are they expecting the cells to leak?

2. runner180fxr says:

I’ve read a thread in budget light forums where a Sony high drain cell was
    shown that had leaked and possibly corroded from the inside. The rust you
    are showing might be a result of electrolyte leakage as shown at 2:40

3. Andre Klärner says:

+Julian Ilett have you ever thought about spot-welding new tabs to the
    batteries? Especially since the cells are capable of delivering dangerous
    amounts of energy, one should be able build a “fuse” that breaks the
    connection after a long enough time for welding the tab an.

Also: wouldn’t it have been easier to simply desolder the tabs from the
    PCB? They looked quite easy to reach

4. pietkaify says:

The coloured meter on the battery is completely pants! The slightest use
    and it changes colour! Has been rectified on new 1.5 and 4.0AH!

I think it is worthwhile I have 2/3 working! And the third one I stupidly
    put protected cells in! No suprise at all when it didn’t work! Brilliant job

any ideas on a capacity test? Like running a 12v 50w lamp to check current
    capacity maybe do it once a year?

5. heyok says:

The solar bridge wire (or whatever it is really called) made for a nice
    repair! In the past I have done a similar repair using solder braid. It
    doesn’t look as nice but it does solder on easily and you can get it in a
    lot of different widths so you can make sure you have enough current
    carrying capacity.

6. Brandon Glatz says:

I would guess that those rear batteries failed due to being so close to
    that heatsink

7. Neil Perry says:

Would you consider just adding two new replacement tabbed 18650 cells for
    the second pack? or are you worried about a miss match in capacity? or is
    it just cheaper to keep buying ‘Faulty’ packs

8. Dean Greenhough says:

Great idea. I have lots of Makita batteries which cost a fortune to
    replace. Can’t wait to try this out. Warning taken note off.

9. asdreww says:

Julian, are those cells standard 18650 size? it’s hard to tell from the
    video

10. Aussie50 says:

wow, that is a lot of charging electronics!, no-wonder mine died!, guess
    they do not like being left out in the rain ;)
    time to buy a 2 pack of 2.4Ah ones, the small stock batteries just do not
    last!

11. Wayne Bjorken says:

20 quid for a 10 quid vac. Jolly good, Julian, Just kidding. Nice video.
    Thanks much.

12. PhattyMo says:

I’ve seen the ‘rust’ caused from the ‘other way around’.. That is,the spot
    welder blew pinholes in the end of the cells,and the rust was caused from
    the electrolyte leaking out..not from water getting in.

13. TheOldmankk says:

Pal, wear the Latex Finger Protector (tiny Condom) on Index and Thumb
    finger. It has proper grip esp. soldering and provide little protection.

14. FilmFactry says:

Why not just order some Chinese Lipos and replace all cells. What could
    that cost you?

15. Julian Ilett says:

Fixing 18V 2.4Ah Ryobi Lithium Power Tool Batteries

16. malicious1111 says:

Maybe you can get a pair of notebook old models replace 6 cell batteries
    that has lost your market value so you can rebuild a brand new cell that
    will hold better charge and fix that battery you scraped cells.
    Great fix, nice video!

17. Byro says:

With model aircraft you ‘balance’ the cells. I assume the battery pack can
    do it by its self but you may want to ensure all batteries are sitting at
    the same voltage.

18. iwantitpaintedblack says:

Mornin’ Julian, i have a question
    if i connect a Solar Panel to a charge controller to charge a Battery, do i
    need to connect the Diode?

19. Dorf Schmidt says:

Grind the tabs first, use some colophony. An angled face iron tip would be
    much better than a pencil point tip.
    I would put some Kapton tape (before soldering) under the joints for safety
    reasons.

Great videos!

20. Luke Den Hartog says:

have you tried spotwelding? I can spotweld triple aaa batteries to metal
    tabbing without killing the cell.

21. LearningZone says:

Excellent repair video with excellent explanation. Keep up nice work.
    Regards,

22. Harry Haefner says:

The corrosion should have been cleaned away before soldering.

23. Dean Greenhough says:

Noted. Thanks for the reply.

24. MyWillyboi says:

Mr. Ilett Could you read my comment on your channel page and let me know
    what you think?? Another Great Video

25. I have to thank you for the efforts you’ve put in penning this site.
    I am hoping to see the same high-grade content from you in the future as
    well. In truth, your creative writing abiliities has
    inspired me to get my own, personal website now ;)

26. The diamond engagement rings are made with such passioon that they impart grace annd beauty to you.
    This is quite understandable since the halo diamond ring iis very popular today amongst today’s selection off diamond engagement
    rings. Diamonds are the most precious thing that attracts both malee andd
    female in this occasion.

My webpage Loraine

27. Thanks for any other wonderful post. The place else could
    anyone get that kind of info in such an ideal approach of writing?

I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m
    on the search for such info.

28. We absolutely love your blog and find the majority
    of your post’s to be exactly what I’m looking for.
    Does one offer guest writers to write content for you
    personally? I wouldn’t mind publishing a post or elaborating on a number of the
    subjects you write about here. Again, awesome site!