Tin Can Stirling Engine Generating Power...

Power Tools Used: Tin Can Stirling Engine Generating Power Gamma Type no Machining Tools Used (Update). An update on the Tin Can Stirling model generator I have been building from scrap, I have used no complicated machining tools so far aside of a drill press, rotary tool and soldering iron….

More Power Tools Used Videos:

29 Responses to “ Tin Can Stirling Engine Generating Power”

1. Andrew Spinks says:

It seems you’ve got a pretty good engine there. You are only generating
    about .8 watts though, not really anything useful. I’m searching for the
    best option to power a motor I have out of a washing machine. A direct
    drive motor. You will need to make a bigger engine however. You might be
    able to find one for free or cheap out of an old washing machine. They
    are capable generating a couple hundred watts at a given voltage. You’ll
    have to rewire to your RPM range but there are many diagrams online. Just
    a thought… Anyway, good video. Thanks

2. Robson Jose says:

Very good!

3. cellman64 says:

excellent friend :)

4. compujan says:

Hi, nice project. A simple way to estimate the number of rpm’s is to record
    the sound of the video with Audacity (you can choose your pc output sound
    as a recording source). Than zoom the waveform and measure the time between
    to tops of the wave pattern. So divide 1 through the number of seconds
    (0,13 or so) and multiply with 60 (seconds to minute) and divide with 2
    (the number of plops per revolution) for the rpm’s. I found this way in
    your movie: max 600 rpm,under load 200 rpm.

5. Slovflyer says:

Ugh, in the last part there I meant it is possible to spin a bit slower
    under NO load (relative to this video’s no load RPM), but spin fast under
    load (again, relative to this video).

6. Robert Wagenvoort says:

I do ;-)

7. NZHorizones says:

Thank you.

8. NZHorizones says:

Yep its a great place alright, anything outta anything comes naturally for
    a kiwi :)

9. Dean Walcott says:

is it possible to connect a stirling generator to a power inverter to
    power appliances

10. Slovflyer says:

Also, most brushed electric motors such as the Mabuchi type you have there
    are usually rated no more than 40-50% efficient; as motors. I.e. 40-50% of
    the input wattage in turned into useful motion by the motor, the rest as
    heat, and only at an optimal RPM. I don’t know how it works in reverse for
    them, but I’d reckon it might hold true when used as generators (so it
    loses half the energy it is being fed, as heat). It has to do with the
    commutator, windings, axle bearings (or none), quality, etc.

11. Slovflyer says:

With my electrical experience as an R/C hobbyist, at a given voltage, a
    lower turn motor (armature windings) revs up to higher RPM. A higher turn
    motor revs less/volt, but has more relative torque per AMP it draws in.
    Conversely, I’d reckon to generate a low 5.5V at fixed RPM (1000), for more
    amps under load, you’d want a lower wind motor? It would make less VOLTS
    per RPM but you’d get more AMPS. Also the quality of the motor
    (neo-magnets, fat brushes). Any electricians want to chime in?

12. Robert Wagenvoort says:

Nice engine, good speed!

13. Coco Mbella says:

In germany we have the saying “Not macht erfinderisch”, it means more or
    less necessity is the mother of invention. But i guess a few more tools
    would not be so bad for both of us. ;) lg koko

14. Mariuccio Mordini says:

great good job

15. NZHorizones says:

Thanks.

16. NZHorizones says:

Thanks

17. MegaMalek95 says:

that is super !!!

18. NZHorizones says:

Thankyou, you may like some of my other updates to this engine too.

19. NZHorizones says:

Thank you for your interest and advice.

20. NZHorizones says:

Thanks, I will get a Tachometer in future and see how well you did.

21. NZHorizones says:

Thank you very much for your comment I will indeed keep uploading any
    others I make. I see we have similar passions and I hope they please you as
    much me. Regards, Craig.

22. Coco Mbella says:

nice engine! greetings from germany koko ;)

23. Manual do Motor Stirling - Leandro Wagner says:

Very good your motor! I love the simple and perfect that built your engine!
    Congratulations! Watching your video, it seems hit 900RPM! As for the
    generator, that you used is a good generator for this engine! For I also
    use this. Greetings from Brazil, Leandro.

24. Slovflyer says:

Just some FYI, in case you might not have thought of this, but RPM is not
    where power lies but rather, torque. Your description notes this is the
    optimal RPM setup you have gotten. Under load (i.e. measuring current),
    recall that torque at the crank is what keeps it turning and thus it is
    rather sluggish. It might be possible to spin slower under load but produce
    more raw torque (useful when under load). Just brainstorming out loud. :)

25. Robert Wagenvoort says:

I do ;-)

26. Carol the Thermador refrigerator is twice the value of the KitchenAid!

27. Hey There. I found your weblog using msn. This is a very well written article.
    I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn extra of your useful information. Thanks for the post.
    I will certainly comeback.

28. If some one wishes expert view regarding running a blog
    after that i suggest him/her to pay a quick visit this weblog,
    Keep up the fastidious work.

29. Hi there, You have done a great job. I will definitely digg it and
    personally recommend to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this site.